By the Jew Theodore N. Kaufman
8. "Lest We Forget . . ."
Perhaps in the Future . . .
United States has entered the war. The struggle is long and bitter but at last the Allies forge ahead. Their armies surround Germany.
Germany realizes that she has lost again. She does not want invasion. She fears the vengeance long overdue her. So she sues for peace. Comes the Armistice!
And immediately thereafter, as once before, Germany finds that the words "Humanity" which she has debased; "Justice"- which she has distorted; and "God" whom she has profaned, have an irresistible sales appeal to Allied Statesmen.
Germany puts her propaganda machine to work.
Soon men in the victor nations are urging:
"Peace with Honor!" "Justice without Rancor!" "God and Mercy", and all those other weak, sticky phrases which befuddle the weary minds and exhausted emotions of the long-suffering people of the war-decimated democracies.
Forgotten in the sudden lush of a peace that is no peace, are all the brave sons who were sacrificed to the monster Germany: forgotten is the plight of the countries whose resources were drained, and whose energies were sapped in stemming the Teutonic onslaught. Forgotten, too, is the duty owed to generations yet to be born. Forgotten, as in 1918, is the day of the coming of the German leader
Yes: all forgotten because the Allies cannot resist such an appeal. And so, even though a hundred years and a hundred instances have shown the hypocrisy of a German promise, the Allies fall once again its victim.
They forget that the struggle they waged was not a sports contest: that their adversary was a beast, not a human being! And so, filled to overflowing with the infectious germ of sentiment, they stretch out their hand to their fallen opponent and help him arise.
- They pat him on the back with a hearty "No hard
- feelings, old man!" and, happy that the war is now over and done with, return to their homes.
- Believing, sincerely, that German war will not come again.
- Believing that somehow, in some inexplicable manner, Germany has accepted Christ.
- A decade passes. A decade of hard work and many sacrifices.
- A decade of much sweat and little pleasure.
- But die democratic peoples do not mind. They are building a better world for their children.
- So they think.
- Meanwhile Germany grows strong and robust. Her army is larger and more powerful than ever before; she has developed new weapons whose frightfulness surpasses all imagination. She had found a new leader. And her war-souled people are bent once again upon conquering the world.
- Once more the earth trembles beneath the march of die German boot.
- Like a cobra Germany is poised:
- She strikes
- The people of the civilized nations are stunned.
- The sun now shivers as it rises upon the Dark world.
- For slaves to the German are children once free.
- Civilization is no more. Perversity is raged rampant.
- Even the moon shutters as it wanes in a frightening chill.
- This is it, finally, "Deutschland uber Alles."
- Shall it be so?
- Our choice lies still before us:
- False sentiment or courageous decision
- Which shall it be?
They exclaim, "But this cannot be again!"
But it is.
And this time it is Too Late!
For Germany wins. She is mistress of the world.
. . . and so a thousand years of peace was sold to the Devil for a moments respite! And only because men tried to placate the body, instead of expunging forever the bestial war-soul of the German!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
I. ABOUT THIS BOOK
This war is not Hitler's!
II. BACKGROUND OF GERMANISM
The destructive forces of the German war-soul.
III. ORGANIZED GERMANISM
A ruthless plan of world conquest.
IV. GERMANISM ABROAD
Early fifth-column tactics.
V. "BLESSED ARE THE WAR-MAKERS"
For they shall inherit oblivion.
VI. THE MIDDLE ROAD ?
Is there one?
VII. DEATH FOR GERMANY!
The Raven that croaketh Nevermore!
VIII. "LEST WE FORGET. . ."
The wave of the future.